Beans and Rice month for this year has been scheduled and mapped! (May 20-June 9… that’s four weeks) Because I’m allowing homemade breads and a little cheese, it doesn’t seem like a big change from a typical diet that includes meat… but it really is. Maybe I’ll get the food even better this time and we’ll be able to incorporate this type of meal more often! It sure is cheaper
What else we will eat:
Vegetables and fruit (this includes salsa)
PBJ toast and Yogurt for breakfast (to encourage Brian to participate – I am hoping for some rice, raisins and milk for breakfast)
Eggs from our chickens
A minimal amount of cheese and sour cream
Homemade tortillas and bread – I don’t WANT this to be part of our menu, since it takes away from the purity of the idea… but it’s so much easier if you have tortillas with beans and bread with salads… so to limit how much we have, I have to MAKE it, which is a lot of work. Favorite tortilla recipes or tips, anyone?
1. Herbed Lentils and Rice *New recipe. Will try it with less cheese than called for… and cheddar of course instead of swiss.
2. Bean & Rice Enchiladas *Love this recipe! We’ll use less cheese and sour cream than usual on top for this month’s “fast” but these are delicious any time and I often have them in the freezer.
3. Middle Eastern Rice with Black Beans & Chickpeas
5. Spicy Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup *Made this last year. It’s very spicy, but that’s nice if you’re tired of beans. We added rice to tone down the spice. A little sour cream would be excellent if you’re permitting yourself. I didn’t think I’d like it, but was pleasantly surprised.
6. Mexican Rice & Beans *I really love these with tortilla chips. Yum! Thinking of trying these this year. Also – I love cilantro, so added extra.
7. Bean & Rice Tacos *You know – just like you usually make tacos, but with beans and rice and no meat. Haven’t decided how to make the beans yet. White, black, red, whole, refried, with canned tomatoes and cooked onions… or not. So many decisions, so little time!
8. Salad with Beans *A green salad with veggies and boiled eggs…. topped with beans and salsa.
9. Rod’s Spicy Kale N Beans *Never had this.
10. Chickpeas in Coconut Milk *Another new one
11. Warm French Lentils *Newbie
12. Roasted Vegetable Biriyani *Heard this was worth the effort. So it’ll be my “fancy” meal.
13. Black Bean Burger *I’ve had black bean burgers before, but this is a new recipe. They taste really good, but the texture is a little softer than you might like. Not sure if I’ll make hamburger buns or eat them with a fork.
14. Pita bread and Hummus (usually make regular and Roasted Red Pepper) *The red pepper hummus is a little spicy for the girls, but having two kinds is nice for us grownups. Both are delicious!
I’ll be shopping in dry bulk for the beans and rice – it won’t cost much for a month’s worth of food. I’m guessing the dry goods will be less than $20.